Saturday, March 12, 2011

the one I love

This week we have been blessed by our friends. We've had an amazing meal every night and some company to boot! I've realized that although I am indeed going stir crazy, the girls are too. Not seeing people is tough and staying put in the house, we can't even play outside, is even tougher. So fresh faces made their days, yesterday and today!

Fletch is sick, so we are taking up shifts. I love doing this chaotic, dependent, tough time, with him. I am constantly reminded of how blessed we are to be such a good team. Where one of us lacks, the other is strong. I remember when we got married, people would tell us how hard marriage is, and then some disgruntled comment about why its awful. Then thinking, wow, really? Thanks for the encouragement.
Marriage, in my opinion is work. Definitely not deserving of the overarching 'hard' title that so many automatically paste onto your marriage licence. And yes, there are seasons that are much tougher than others, but truly when our eyes and hearts are set on Christ, we've seen slices of bliss as to what God intended marriage to be. I say slices, because who we are in Him, and knowing how to love with each other is constantly growing. So I know, that as amazing as Fletch is, how he loves me, how he provides, and fights for me and the girls, is only on this continual upward line.And I know that I am ever changing too. So, I can't even imagine 10 years from now or 50. God has already given us an amazing love,for each other and ways to speak to each other's hearts. Our foundations are deep, committed, and strong with obvious growth of love and understanding in just the 4 short years we've had, so I can't imagine how deep and different we will know love to be the longer we walk together.
God has been working in both of our hearts and over and over again I'm reminded of how blessed our marriage is. How incredibly thankful I am to have a man of God, who indeed will fail, but always gets back up. How amazingly patient, humble, and strong he is. And how great a leader of my heart and warrior for our family God has made him to be.

We lost our vows. They were left with the pastor, and neither of us had another copy. Getting married outside made it next to impossible to hear what we vowed to each other when watching the video. So we're left with the vague memories what what we wrote. But what I remember is the passion, and the specific words we chose to commit all of ourselves to the other and the pursuit of Christ.
How many times have I failed those vows, is probably not even countable. But the commitments and 'standards' we set up for our marriage were God breathed, and in that comes grace. Something I now know is one of the greatest blessings in our marriage.
I love Fletch from the depths of my heart, and I love knowing that it is only going to get greater. I love the man who gracefully handles my shortcomings and encourages me to be the wife, mom, and woman that God intended me to be. I don't like thinking of the ways I've wounded and failed him, but I suppose that these are inevitable to some degree in all relationships. But I love knowing that I can stand by his side, and be loved. To be by his side is something I treasure deeply, hoping that I can learn how to love, serve,and battle life with this man, in the ways God has intended us to do it, and with the fullness He created us to have.
The excitement and love is overpowering.

2 comments:

dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Virginia said...

Its after midnight and I can't sleep so I decided to read your blog which I haven't done in over a year. Let me say as a Mom, that I have always loved the way you could express yourself through words. You captivated me with your enthusiasm and joy for life. Your words just pulled me in and I couldn't stop reading until I read everything you had written for the past two years. I am overwhelmed with joy to see your love for the Lord, Fletch, your girls and your friends. You are an amazing woman and I am blessed to be called your Mama!